Monday, December 5, 2016
It's that time of the year...The weather is getting cold and a warm & hearty soup is always welcome. I like making large quantity of soup at one time and then keep it for the week or freeze some for later.
Try this kale, bean, potato and sausage soup - simply delicious, hearty and healthy!
Ingredients - yield about 18-20 servings
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 3 large carrots - diced
- 1 head of garlic (10 to 12 cloves) - smashed and roughly cut
- 6 to 8 medium Yukon gold potatoes - diced
- 2 cups of navy beans soaked overnight
- 4 sausages (I use hot Italian sausages - any sausage would work) - sliced in bite size
- 1.5 bunch of Italian kale (dinosaur kale) - chopped thinly
- 8 to 10 cups of water or vegetable / chicken stock
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 to 3 tablespoon of thyme
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
Sautee the yellow onion in about 2 tbp of olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic, carrot and spices (cumin, red pepper flakes and paprika) and stir in for another couple of minutes. Add the sausages and cook until they are browning. Add the potatoes stirring for another minutes and coating them with all the other ingredients. Finally add the beans and the liquid, salt, pepper, thyme and ensure that all ingredients are covered. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour to 1.5 hour or until the beans are cooked. Taste and adjust flavor with additional salt/pepper, spices if needed.
Remove about 1 to 2 cups of the soup (minus the sausage bites) and smash it. Add back to the soup (this will give a creamier texture to the soup). Add the kale and simmer until wilted.
Serve with slices of bread and sprinkle with some fresh gated parmesan.