Thursday, September 5, 2013

Peach Jam

This year, I had given up the idea on making peach jam.  I usually get a huge box of peaches on my way back from my in-laws, in Eastern WA.  This time, it must have been too early, we stopped by the fruit stand but they did not have the boxes of peaches ready.  I was disappointed but on a way, since I was due to deliver my baby anytime, maybe it was a good thing not to have additional chores.
I came to term that I would not enjoy any delicious peach jam during winter.

Little did I know that a few weeks later, my mother in-law, who was coming to baby sit her grandchildren for an evening, would surprise me with a box of peaches!

I was back in business...I could already taste the jam on my homemade bread...mmm.

I used approx. 32 medium to large peaches and yielded 11 quart jars of delicious peach jam.

Here is how I make my jam:

Approx. 32 peaches (blanched, peeled and pitted)
4 cups of sugar
The juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup of Cointreau (why not?)

After getting my peaches ready (blanched, peeled and pitted - by the way my chicken loved the peels!), I put all the peaches, sugar, lemon juice and Cointreau (optional, but again, why not?) in a large pot.  I bring everything to a boiling point and leave it that way for about 5-7 min, then I reduce the heat to low and cook the jam for about 30 min or so.  The easiest way to find out if the jam is ready, is by using a plate that has been in the freezer and by placing a spoon full of the jam on it. If the jam does not run off, it is ready!

The next step is to can the jam, first ensure to sterilize all the jars and lids.  Once that step is done, fill the jam in each jars and place the lids on the jars.  Put the jars in a boiling pot of water (ensuring the water covers the jars completely) and let it boil for about 5 min.  Remove the jars from the water and let them rest on the counter for 24 hours. 

This is that simple...Not pectin and only natural ingredients.  Great to enjoy with yogurt, toast, pancakes, and anything else you may think of!  They make for good presents too.



No comments:

Post a Comment