Friday, May 17, 2013

Homemade vinaigrette


The first time I came to the USA was over 17 years ago. There were a few things that came across as being a cultural shock, bigger cars, bigger buildings, stores open on week-ends, etc.

One of the biggest cultural shocks to me happened to be the salad dressing! I remember the first time I was faced in making a decision on which salad dressing to pick. I was never asked that question before, in France, we simply use vinaigrette! At least, at my parents'.

So, here I was with a multitude of choices: blue cheese, Italian, ranch, French, thousand islands, etc. So many to choose from...Oh my, I happened to be in a bit of a panic, I did not expect anyone to give me a choice. What to do now? Well, I decided to stay safe and picked French. What could go wrong with French salad dressing?

....Well, everything went wrong! I expected a simple vinaigrette, and here they splattered this thick red sauce on top of my salad! It tasted just like ketchup! Talk about a cultural shock. Needless to say, I did not enjoy my salad that day.

I learned over the years, that a multitude of salad dressing was offered. I am still not a fan of any creamy / thick salad dressing, way too rich to my taste. The other things that intrigued me is that people would actually buy salad dressing. It never crossed my mind to do that. I grew up making it at home, even my dad knows how to make it (and he is not a cook).

My favorite of all remains the vinaigrette I grew up with.
Here is the recipe I would like to share, after so many years, I actually eye ball everything. The great thing is you can adjust the quantities to your liking.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Put all the ingredients in a 12-ounce screw top jar (you can use an empty mustard container). Screw on the lid and shake very well. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more oil or vinegar as needed.

Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, shaking before each use.

I surely hope your next salad will have homemade vinaigrette!

No comments:

Post a Comment