Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Little Bunny Foo Foo, hopping through my garden...

It started on Mother’s day when one of my neighbors told me I had a little bunny under my gigantic shed.  A bunny? I said, what?  She explained that other neighbors had a rabbit that had babies, for a total of 12 rabbits!  Yes, I guess the saying about rabbits is true.
Yesterday I came home, to find a larger rabbit just wandering in my back yard.  Of course they are cute and all fuzzy which makes it that much harder to hate them.  As long as it keeps eating the dandelions, we are ok.  My husband could not resist reminding me that before long it would be attacking my garden.  The garden I worked so hard to get all set up (not to mention the money I spent on it too!).  I now declare war on bunnies, not so cute after all (ok, still very cute but…).  Do you realize how fast rabbits run and how sneaky they are too?  Needless to say, I did not catch it.  Every time I got close, it would run back underneath the shed. 
I eventually decided to inform the neighbors (the rabbits’ owners) just so they were aware about their rabbits running around the neighborhood…Now, we are two backyards away…They sent the 8-year old boy to the rescue.  Result, the rabbit isn’t caught and it was time to retire for the night.
This morning I woke up and saw the rabbit still around my yard, still eating weeds and dandelions until it moved on to a kale plant, that was it, this put me over the edge, do not get between me and my kale!  I tried to spook it but of course, it ran super-duper fast and kept on hiding.  Well, it was time to leave for work and no time to play catch the rabbit quite yet. 
Now, my husband and I have a strategy: tonight we are getting the butterfly net and a large box and we are planning on catching that rabbit.
Did I mention that she is apparently pregnant…
More to follow…Stay tune.



UPDATE: The bunny ate most of my garden!  I have estimated I lost about 45 to 50 veggie starters plus she ate all the leaves of my four apples trees planted this year and being trained on espalier.  We did not catch the bunny, we were only able to chase it back towards her "home".  Hopefully we are done now.  This week-end, I will be busy buying new starters and replanting everything!  This was the first year I experiemented and started most of my veggies indoor...What a waste!  Argh!



2 comments:

  1. Beg, borrow, rent or buy an appropriate size humane live trap, bait with banana pieces. Set up only during the day in the shade if you have skunks about. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I have been moving the trap around the garden with some young leaves as bait, I will try the banana. So far no luck on catching it...Will keep trying...

    ReplyDelete