Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring Cleaning! (of the coop)

Spring cleaning is done!  I decided it was time to do a deep clean of the coop.  Although I maintain the coop clean and as smell free as possible.  I would say a deep cleaning is in order once a year.
I change the deep litter regularly, about 3 times a year, which seems to be the right amount. 
For the deep cleaning, I used ½ cup of bleach for over a gallon of warm water. The deep cleaning consisted on removing all the litter (including all of it stuck in the corners).  I then, cleaned the floor, all the roosts, windows etc. with the bleach mixture, let it stand for about 5 minutes and rinse everything with warm water.  I allowed the coop to air dry completely before adding fresh pine shaving.
While doing all this, Sweeney was in one of the nesting boxes taking her sweet time to lay her egg…She did not seem bothered by all the cleaning though.
Sweeney laying an egg!
A few weeks ago, I also decided to put an addition to the coop.  I went from an 8x4 to an 8x6 coop.  The two additional feet made a lot of difference.  It is now roomier and I even dedicated a small corner for food and other supplies.  I reorganized the interior, lowering the nesting boxes, adding roosts and poop boards as well.  The last transformation was to add a temporary separation in the coop to allow the introduction of the new flock.  It is all ready.  I am very happy with the results.  The girls seem to like it too (or so I like to believe). 


Temporary movable wall
 
Supplies corner
The next step is to extend the run.  I currently have 48 sqft of floor space and I am looking at adding another 72 sqft.  This should give a total of 120 sqft of space or 15 sqft per bird (5 more than the recommended). Again this is also just floor space.  Part of the run is over 6 ft tall.  I want to add more roosts and maybe some "toys" to keep all the girls entertained.
I am hoping to be done with the run before the end of May. I will post more pics when ready.

I wish you a great spring filled with projects! 



 

3 comments:

  1. I'm certain your girls will appreciate the added room in their coop. My birds presently have 48 sq/ft, with a little over 6 ft headroom. Since I let them out on a daily basis, the current setup isn't a problem. When the weather and my health improves a bit more, I plan on adding some roosts. No sense in not making use of the vertical area. On days when we need to be away and can't let the birds out, the idea of coop roosts seems like a good way for them to have more wing span room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, I added more roosts with the addition which give them plenty of choices on where to go and not feel crowded. I also added poop boards that so far work very well as long as I clean them daily. It has helped reducing the odors and keeping the coop cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete