Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Kale Salad

Do you have that one vegetable that is "it" for you? 

I love everything vegetable but until about 2 years ago I had no idea about kale.  Sure, I had seen it at the store but was never quite sure what to do with it.
Until one day my husband "pushed" me in buying a bunch.  Now, what? 
I was introduced to a recipe that made "it" for me...Kale salad, it is so simple but yet so good.  I have never been much a fan of salad in general but this was different.  The texture of kale (being from the cabbage family) is more "robust" and heartier than lettuce.  Plus add all the benefit of kale et voila, perfect match!
I have been making this salad practically every week and have not yet grown tired of it.  It also keeps very well overnight and for some reasons is even better the next day.

Here is the way I make it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of kale (Curly green or red or both, lacinato...) 
  • 2- 3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 tsp Red chili pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup Olive oil
  • 1/2 Lemon juice
  • Grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
  • Bread crumbs
All the measurements are approximate, I eye ball everything, you can adjust to your liking (I love garlic so there is never too much!).

In a small pan, heat the oil add garlic and red chili pepper flakes and cook for a few minutes (about 2-4 min. garlic should still be white).  Let cool down and add the lemon juice.
In a salad bowl mix the cheese and bread crumb with the kale, add the oil mixture, salt to taste and mix well.
Place it in a fridge, for about 20-30 minutes prior to serving. 


Bon appetit!


1 comment:

  1. I love this! New follower here. Please come share at my weekly Farm Girl Blog Fest. http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-10.html

    I would love to see you there!
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete