Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Brioche

Christmas is just around the corner and this year I decided to make a chorizo stuffing, I made it last year and it was a great success.  This stuffing calls for brioche rather than the traditional bread stuffing or cornbread, which being from France brings some of my roots right back in my food!
Of course, I could simply go to the store and buy the brioche but what fun would that be.  Instead, I challenged myself to make my own brioche.  I have tried this years ago and was moderately successful.  So here I am again and this time I am hoping for a great success.  Below is the recipe I am following:

Brioche dough (makes about 2 loaves)
3/4 cup lukewarm water (milk can be used instead)
2 1/4 teaspoons granulated yeast (1 packet)
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup honey (sugar can be used instead)
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Mix all ingredients but the flour.
Add in the flour, using a spoon until all of the flour is incorporated.
Cover, and allow to sit at room temperature for about two hours.
Bake at 400F for 10 min and reduce to 350F for 20-30 min.
Let it cool on a wire rack.

The dough is very sticky once all ingredients are mixed together. 
Once the dough has rested, work it for another 10 min.
 
Form four balls (per loaf) and place them in a pan.


Et voila, homemade brioche!

No comments:

Post a Comment